Doctoral faculty nomination and reappointment procedures
Based on the "Criteria for Doctoral Faculty Membership" established by the Intercampus Doctoral Council in 1974 and most recently affirmed by the Graduate Faculty Senate in 2002, there is a formal certification procedure for membership in or reappointment to the University of Missouri (MU) Doctoral Faculty.
Initial Membership: Recommendations for initial membership in the doctoral faculty are made by vote of the departmental doctoral faculty. These recommendations are subsequently reviewed for conformance to departmental standards for doctoral faculty by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Studies. This review will result in either a recommendation for approval or postponement until requirements are met. In cases where postponement is recommended, the Graduate Faculty Senate Executive Committee will be asked to assist in the review.
Faculty From Departments Without Doctoral Degree Programs: Faculty from departments that do not award doctoral degrees can attain Doctoral Faculty status by petitioning for affiliation with a doctoral degree granting program in a related discipline. Doctoral faculty from the affiliated program will provide the nomination for initial membership and serve as the reviewing body for renewal. In the event that affiliation with an appropriate doctoral degree granting department cannot be made, the Graduate Faculty Senate Executive Committee will serve as the nominating and renewal entity.
Transfer of Doctoral Faculty Status: Doctoral faculty members transferring from any department or campus within the University of Missouri System to the University of Missouri Columbia campus shall retain and be accorded the full status of their current Doctoral Faculty appointments.
The following information should be provided in the order listed for initial membership or reappointment consideration.
- Include a copy of the approved department/unit/division Doctoral Faculty Criteria. Please make a note on it about when the document was last revised/approved and take this opportunity to review criteria for necessary updates or revisions.
- Include a signed cover letter from the department/unit/division Chair/Director/Director of Graduate Studies indicating the departmental decision. The letter should also briefly and specifically detail how the nominee meets the departmental Doctoral Faculty Criteria. Please note any special circumstances necessary for proper review, such as those regarding the nomination of faculty new to MU.
- Include a current curriculum vitae for the nominee in a format that clearly delineates the faculty member's achievements, with respect to the department/unit/division Doctoral Faculty Criteria. Please ensure that contributions to or participation in graduate education, as required by your departmental criteria, are specifically noted in the documentation.
- Send the requested documents in c/o of Anita Cowan, Office of Graduate Studies, 210 Jesse Hall.
Renewal of Doctoral Faculty Status
- The criteria to be utilized for renewal will be the criteria currently in effect for new Doctoral Faculty applicants.
- All persons seeking reappointment will be required to submit a summary of relevant activities in the format required by the department/degree program.
- Activity summaries will be reviewed and endorsed or rejected by the doctoral faculty in the candidate’s department/degree program.
- Procedures for renewal:
- Notification to departments or programs of faculty to be reviewed by the Office of Graduate Studies;
- Completion of the summary of activities by the reviewee;
- Review and recommendation by doctoral faculty in the department/degree program;
- Submission of the recommendation to the Associate Vice Chancellor, Office of Graduate Studies, for review. In the event of a negative decision, an appeal or a recommendation that does not appear to be consistent with the stated guidelines for the department/degree program, the applicant’s file will be sent to the Executive Committee for review and disposition;
- The Graduate School notifies the Department Chair and applicants of the decision.
- Packet ordered according to listing
- Dated copy of approved Doctoral Faculty Criteria
- Signed cover letter indicating decision and detailing how the nominee meets criteria
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae for the nominee highlighting the departmental criteria
Note: The current University of Missouri Policy on Records Management requires that Doctoral Faculty membership applications be microfilmed and retained; therefore, printed copies of the nomination packet are required.